Fiona Macpherson appointed new President of the BPA

The BPA are proud to announce that Fiona Macpherson, Professor of Philosophy and Director of the Centre for the Study of Perceptual Experience at the University of Glasgow, has been appointed as the new President of the British Philosophical Association. She follows Professor Robert Stern who held the position from 2012 to 2018. As Professor Macpherson states:

“I am honoured to be appointed President of the BPA. As a life member since its inception, I’ve
greatly admired the vital work that the BPA has done across a large number of areas: developing
policy and good practice guidelines (especially on women in the profession); providing an important
voice in national and international consultations and policy issues; influencing the REF
process and supporting departments through it; developing and supporting the teaching of philosophy
in schools; supporting departments in times of crisis; and more. I’d like to pay tribute to Professor
Robert Stern for all of his hard work: astutely and judiciously guiding the BPA during his two
terms as president. And I wish him well in his role as Chair of the Philosophy sub-panel for REF
2021. It is good to know that the BPA has such a strong ally in this important position.

Whilst President, I will support the exceptionally valuable work that the BPA does – and help it expand
its remit. New challenges face the profession, not least from a potential Brexit, an uncertain
financial future for Universities, and the Teaching Excellence Framework. Further attention to issues
of diversity are required. I bring with me extensive experience of serving on charity and funding
bodies, including five years on the AHRC council, and I hope to put the experience that I’ve
gained, and the connections I’ve made, to good use. One focus of my activity as president will be
to improve the visibility in public life of the philosophers in the UK and their fantastic research. I’m
looking forward to working with Joe Morrison and the executive committee, who I’ve seen exercise
tremendous collective wisdom over the last few months as I’ve gotten to know them and the workings
of the BPA. The BPA is always keen to hear from its members about how it can best serve the
profession, so please do get in touch if there are issues that we should address.”

Latest News